Since we are coming to the end of our birthday week and it also happens to be one of my sweet daughter’s birthdays, I thought I would share one of our favorite recipes for Chocolate Strawberry Cream Filled Cupcakes. We have made these cupcakes for weddings, showers, birthdays, and lots of parties. I originally found this recipe on Pinterest from tidymom.net. It has become one of our favorites. They do take a little bit of time, but they are not hard and well worth the effort. My husband has referred to them as my $5 cupcakes—they are that delicious.
There are so many variations of these cupcakes you can experiment with! We often make them using a French vanilla cake mix instead of the chocolate cake mix, then use regular cream cheese frosting on top (just omit the cocoa and add a little more powdered sugar). Or you could use regular cream cheese frosting on the chocolate cupcakes. We've also tried changing up the filling with peaches instead of strawberries. Go ahead and be creative!
I hope you enjoy making these delicious cupcakes as much as we do.
See three recipes needed below.
- Bake Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes and cool completely.
- Cut out a small section in the center of the cupcake (we use a cupcake corer to make this easy). Save the middles.
- Add Strawberry Whipped Cream Filling to the hole. Replace the cupcake middles.
- Pipe Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting on top of cupcakes with a size 1M tip. Start from the outside and spiral into the center to create a peak, or start from the center and spiral to the outside to create a rose look. Top with sliced strawberries, if desired.
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
- 1 Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 3 large eggs
- ½ C. melted butter (not margarine)
- 1 C. water
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix on low until blended, then mix on high for 2 minutes. Don’t skip this step—it makes them nice and fluffy!
Pour into paper lined cupcake pans. Bake according to package directions.
Strawberry Whipped Cream Filling
- 1 C. heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 C. sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5-6 TB chopped/processed strawberries
Chop strawberries in blender (I use my mini food processor) just until they look thick and a little “liquidy”. It usually takes about 4 large strawberries to make the right amount.
Beat whipping cream until it starts to thicken. Mix in vanilla and sugar. Fold in strawberries.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
from Glorious Treats
- ½ C butter (at room temperature)
- 8 oz. cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ C unsweetened cocoa
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1-4 TBS heavy whipping cream
Mix butter and cream cheese until combined and smooth. Add cocoa and mix together. Then add vanilla and powdered sugar and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy. Slowly add the heavy cream a little bit at a time until desired consistency is met (don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes). Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Use at once or keep refrigerated. This frosting will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, but you may need to re-beat it for the best texture.